Tuesday, July 19, 2011

To Plagiarize is to Steal

While doing some background information checks on an article that I had written and published; I went to Google to research one reference that I had quoted.
To my amazement part of my published article appeared. Some of my vocabulary had been grossly altered and some of the paragraphs rearranged.
But the names of my characters were still the same, and the places visited were identical. It was about one-third of my article.
It had been added to parts of two other authors articles.
With some research, some email letters written, and some good old technology detective work the thief was tracked down.
The culprit, after the host website looked into their goings on, was found to have committed many rule violations. All of their work has been dropped from this website on a permanent basis.
There still is the threat of legal proceedings.
Check your work(s) on a regular basis. You worked hard to produce your published material. Don't let some thief who has no morals end up getting any credit at all for your genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment